This is the best lemonade you'll ever taste! Big call I know but learning this basic recipe will help you break up with the soft drink industry forever. Swap out lemon juice for orange or mandarin depending on the season and add turmeric or ginger for some zing. Some passionfruit and orange will give you an old school Passiona! The live whey ferments the juice/water and gives you a lovely natural carbonation whilst also giving you some good bugs for your tummy. Win!
Ingredients1 cup lemon juice (around 4 lemons)
500gms natural organic yoghurt
3/4 cup light tasting raw honey
1 tablespoon finely grated turmeric
Equipment1.25L swing top glass jar or PET bottle.
Juicer (a hand juicer is fine)
Tea towel or muslin
Water filter or access to filtered water
- Cut your lemons in half and juice, removing all the pips. To get 1 cup of juice, you will need around 4 lemons. Always juice lemons at room temperature as you’ll get more juice.
- Line a strainer with a tea towel or two layers of muslin and place over a bowl to catch the whey. Add the yoghurt and draw up the edges of the towel and gently squeeze. You should easily get 1/4 cup liquid whey.
- Place the lemon juice, 1/4 cup whey, turmeric and honey into a jug and mix with a spoon or whisk.
- Pour into a swing top or PET bottle and top up with filtered water.
- Put in the lid and leave on a bench out of direct sunlight for 2-3 days.
- If you are using a glass jar, make sure you open the lid each day to check each day how fizzy your lemonade is getting, especially if you are in a very warm climate. If you are using a PET bottle, you can feel how fizzy it is by pressing on the sides. The fizzier it gets, the harder the sides will feel.
- The sweetness will reduce each day so when it is to your liking, place into the fridge.
- Serve within 3-4 days with ice and mint.
PHOTO CREDIT: NELLY LE COMTE